While taking this drug, you should be aware of the following important warnings:
- Bleeding: It is possible for this drug to increase risks of excessive bleeding, especially if you take medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or warfarin.
- Blood pressure and heart rate: Cymbalta may cause an increase in blood pressure and/or rapid heart rate. If you have been diagnosed with high blood pressure or other types of heart disease, caution is recommended. Inform your doctor of your entire heart health history before taking this drug.
- Bone fractures: This drug may increase the risk of a bone fracture, especially for elderly people.
- Diabetes: This medication may cause drowsiness for people with diabetes and may decrease the control of blood sugar.
- Kidney impairment: Kidney impairment may cause an accumulation of this drug and its metabolites in your system.
- Liver impairment: Cymbalta is metabolized in the liver, so liver impairment may increase the incidence of side effects.
- Suicidal behavior and thoughts: This drug may increase suicidal ideation and behavior. Inform your doctor of any severe changes in mood or development of suicidal thoughts.
The most frequent adverse effects of this medication include, but are not limited to the following:
- Changes in libido
- Altered appetite
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Dry mouth
- Increased sweating
The patient should stop taking the drug if they experience seizures, painful skin rashes, symptoms of allergic reaction, difficulty breathing, and symptoms of serotonin syndrome that include experiencing confusion, restlessness, sweating, shivering, shaking, hallucinations, rapid heartbeat, and sudden muscle jerking.